Saturday 18 April 2015

Review- The shock of the fall by Nathan Filer






Title: The shock of the fall
Author: Nathan Filer 
Series/Standalone:  Standalone 
Format: Hardcover

Rating: ★★★★

Goodreads summary:
‘I’ll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name’s Simon. I think you’re going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he’ll be dead. And he was never the same after that.’

Review:
I honestly was not expecting a lot going into this book. I had heard some amazing things but was not sold on the hype. Let me say I am so glad I saw this in the library and decided to pick it up. 
This is the story about a boy who looses his older brother in a tragic accident and never recovers. 

This book deals with mental illness in a very honest and heart breaking way. It shows what it is like to deal with an illness of the mind and the effects it can have on the people you love and more importantly the person it affects . I would like to point out that there is self-harm in this book so if that is a trigger for you I would recommend maybe being cautious whilst reading.

Matthew is an extremely unreliable narrator so at points in the book it can be hard to tell what has actually happened and at what point in time. It does jump from Matthews past to the present and it can be difficult at times to know what is the present. This was the only problem I had with this book and even that was resolved at the end when we got the fully story. If you have been thinking about reading this I would say do it. It  is definitely worth the read! 







No comments:

Post a Comment